Teaching and Courses
This page gives a list of courses, lectures, and other university education given by members of the department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT at Maastricht University.
Internship possibilities are listed here.
- 1 Bachelor
- 2 Masters
- 2.1 List of projects for internships
- 2.2 Molecular Life Sciences Masters
- 2.3 Erasmus Mundus Masters on Biohealth Computing
- 2.4 Collaborative Masters program in Bioinformatics with Manipal University, India
- 3 Postdoctoral courses
- 3.1 diXa workshop, EBI, September 26, 2012
- 3.2 M2E2 course on Molecular Epidemiology of Chronic Diseases
- 3.3 ChIP & DNA methylation array course
- 3.4 Postgraduate Education in Toxicology: Toxicogenomics courses
- 3.5 Postgraduate courses on Bioinformatics to understand studies in Genomics in Brazil, June 2011
- 3.6 PhD course "Introduction to Nutritional Metabolomics"
- 3.7 Scholarships and funding opportunities to participate in courses like the above
- 4 Workshops
Bachelor course on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology for Biomolecular Sciences (BMW at FHML)
BMW3010: Bioinformatics assignment
Bachelor course on Bioinformatics for the Sciences programme, FHML
Programming in the Life Sciences, MSP, PRA3006
3000 level project
List of projects for internships
Student projects: this list of projects is available for internships for various masters and ins some cases also experienced bachelor students. Including local masters and students from our collaborating masters program with Manipal University and students from the Erasmus Mundus Masters on Biohealth Computing.
Molecular Life Sciences Masters
This is our local Maastricht University masters in Molecular Life Sciences that now also includes the former research masters tracts. Within this masters you can choose a number of options that will give you more bbackground in life sciences, genetics, genomics and bioinformatics and you can choose a final project from the list mentioned above.
Erasmus Mundus Masters on Biohealth Computing
Collaborative Masters program in Bioinformatics with Manipal University, India
The Maastricht Manipal Exchange programme is a funded internship for students of Manipal University to do an internship with BiGCaT. The tuition fees for admission into Maastricht University is paid for the students interested. However the students would need to pay for their own travel and living costs. We can understand that some students may require financial assistance in that case there are a number of scholarships available (see below). Please apply for the scholarships as soon as you can to avoid disappointment. Also, feel free to contact us if you need any help with the scholarship application.
The Maastricht University visa office can assist in obtaining student visas. However, the students need to pay for the visa themselves and it takes a few weeks.
This page contains information for students from Manipal that want to visit the Department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT as part of their masters program.
Student projects can be found here. Please go through the list and select three projects in order of preference.
The visa office usually needs for the student to have a local address in the Netherlands. So, it's a good idea to start looking for housing as soon as possible. As the department is located in the Randwyck campus in Maastricht, housing nearby might be suitable. The students can have a look at:
1) The Maastricht University Guesthouse: http://www.unimaas.nl/guesthouseum/.
They have single/double rooms and also studios depending on your budget. All rooms are fully furnished with gas, water, electricity and Internet. You will be working at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences so you can choose that as your department while registering.
In case you book a single/double room you would have to share the bathroom and kitchen with the other tenants. Kitchen is fully furnished with utensils and appliances. Iron, ironing board and vacuum cleaner are also provided.
Note: Bedding is usually not provided. You can buy it at the reception (around 40€).
2) Also you can look into Maastricht Housing: http://www.maastrichthousing.com/#. These are also University mediated accommodations.
3) You can look to rent houses by private landlords in:
Applying for scholarships
We urge the students to have a look at the scholarship possibilities as early as possible and contact us so that we can work together to make it possible.
The students will be subject to a mid-term and a final evaluation. They are expected to be in contact with their home institution and let us know when the evaluations are scheduled. We will organize a video conference for them to present their progress to us and their home institution.
For any further questions please feel free to contact:
Drs. Anwesha Bohler
(+31 43 38) 81187
diXa workshop, EBI, September 26, 2012
M2E2 course on Molecular Epidemiology of Chronic Diseases
This course is organised by the Maastricht Molecular Epidemiology Expert group, also visit www.m2e2.nl.
ChIP & DNA methylation array course
No new course scheduled yet but the material from the last course in Newcastle in 2010 is available here
Postgraduate Education in Toxicology: Toxicogenomics courses
These are courses organised by the department of Toxicogenomics (TGX) of Maastricht University. BiGCaT members are involved as teachers in these courses.
Postgraduate courses on Bioinformatics to understand studies in Genomics in Brazil, June 2011
PhD course "Introduction to Nutritional Metabolomics"
- February 2014 in Copenhagen: Hands on session: Biological Interpretation of Metabolomics Data in PathVisio
- December 2011 in Copenhagen: Hands on session: Biological Interpretation of Metabolomics Data in PathVisio
Scholarships and funding opportunities to participate in courses like the above
- September 2016 NUGO Week Workshop in Copenhagen: http://www.bigcat.unimaas.nl/wiki/index.php/NUGO_week_2016
- August 2016 WUN DAPPER Workshop in Bristol: http://www.bris.ac.uk/social-community-medicine/research/groups/data2knowledge/events/wun-dapper/
- June 2016 SaferNanoDesign Summer school at ESI (European Scientific Institute), Archamps: http://www.esi-archamps.eu/Thematic-Schools/BioHC/SaferNanoDesign
Pathway and network analysis
- EBI-Roadshow / diXa tutorial (sessions organized by BiGCaT), Maastricht, July 1-5, 2013
- ICSB Workshop on pathway and network analysis, Copenhagen, August 29, 2013
- OpenTox 2014 - Workshop on pathway analysis, Athens, September 22, 2014